Apply for the Foundation for Advanced Education in the Sciences (FAES) Advanced Statistical Analysis using R course!This 3 day – 0.7 CEU credits virtual workshop will explore both the design side and the coding side of creating visualizations in R. The first session will introduce best practices for designing effective visualizations, and learners will put these into practice in the next two sessions to create static and interactive visualizations. Learners will be introduced to Shiny, an R package used to build interactive web apps. The workshop will include three two-hour sessions with the following learning objectives:
- After Session 1: Visualization Design, learners will be able to:
- Understand how to use principles of human visual perception to create effective visualizations;
- Describe elements of design such as line, shape, value, texture, and space and understand how to effectively use them in visualizations;
- Use color to convey meaning, including using color-blind friendly palettes.
- After Session 2: Visualization in ggplot2, learners will be able to:
- Describe the “Grammar of Graphics” philosophy that underlies the ggplot2 visualization package;
- Create visualizations including barplots, scatterplots, line graphs, and more using ggplot2;
- Customize all aspects of visualizations;
- Save and export visualizations for print, submission to journals, and other applications.
- After Session 3: Interactive Visualizations with Shiny, learners will be able to:
- Understand how to use the UI and server functions to create Shiny objects;
- Create visualizations that change based on user input;
- Build simple web apps incorporating visualizations.
Application deadline to complete form – April 1, 2023
Course: Apr 11, 18, 25, 2023 – 5:30PM to 8:00PM ETOnline Synchronous
Tue Apr 11, 2023
5:30PM – 8:00PM
Tue Apr 18, 2023
5:30PM – 8:00PMOnline Synchronous
Tue Apr 25, 2023
5:30PM – 8:00PM
Info: email@example.com – Sara Bandres